Elmwood Hall is the oldest home in Ludlow, built c. 1818-20. The Federal-style country villa of Thomas Carneal, it was the center of an approximately 1,000 acre estate along the riverfront, including all of present-day Ludlow. The house originally faced the river with a large fan-doorway. In 1827, London showman William Bullock (who made his fortune displaying Napolean’s traveling carriage after the Battle of Waterloo) purchased the Elmwood Estate and had English Regency architect J. B. Papworth lay out “HYGEIA,” Kentucky (named for the Greek goddess of health). This was to be an ideal town composed of squares and circles recalling late 18th century British town plans. Bullock failed to find investors and in the 1830s – 40s, sold the property to the Ludlow family, who along with the Kenner family, laid out and developed Ludlow. The Elmwood site was subdivided in the 1880s and the rear kitchen wing of the home was removed. It was turned into a double house and the Forest Avenue front was rebuilt in the Italianate style. From the 1920s until 1970s, the building was home to Mrs. Thomas’ Candy Factory.
Elmwood Hall is currently a private residence, featuring both interior design from around the time of its original construction and more modern pieces.
244 Forest Avenue, Ludlow, Kentucky 41016